Smoke Alarms Saves Lives!
For the past 3 weeks as I've stood in my front yard of my home I've heard an annoying chirp of one of my neighbors smoke alarms letting them (and me!) know that the batteries are low. While we joke that the alarm battery usually runs down at 3:00 AM, there is a reason behind the madness!
Smoke alarms play a vital role in saving lives, and when properly installed, can reduce the risk of fire injury in half. The National Fire Protection Association recommends smoke alarms be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the house. Business owners should consult the local Fire Marshall to ensure specific building fire codes and smoke detector requirements are met.
Smoke alarms works best when paired with a fire escape plan. A plan allows your family, employees or clients to escape quickly and safely in an emergency situation.
Smoke Alarm Safety Tips
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, including the basement.
- Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, they should be at least 10 feet from a cooking appliance.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year. If an alarm "chirps", the battery is low and should be replaces right away.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
SERVPRO of Lodi 24/7 209-368-6119